The Pathology Laboratory was built for the Ministry of Internal Affairs and was commissioned in 1929. The building was in use until 2007. The laboratories are connected together with hallways, leading to the creation of a courtyard garden between the buildings.
Many of the buildings within the Cité Médicale have been demolished to make way for the new build of the LUMC. The Pathology and Anatomy buildings have been preserved and restored, with many authentic details retained.
A renovation plan has been drawn up in consultation with the Dienst Monumenten (historic buildings agency) and an architect specialising in restoration. This means comfortable accommodation, comparable with new build, in a listed historical property. The old courtyard garden is also being restored and will become a central meeting place for residents. New adaptations to the building, such as the introduction of catering, external areas and new access doors, are constructed using highly distinctive materials.